Regional Secondary School Sports Lead
Sport Whanganui is seeking a forward-thinking individual to take up the position of our Regional Secondary School Sports Lead.
The key purpose of the Regional Secondary School Sports Lead is to grow, support and maintain the provision of quality sporting experiences for secondary school students. The Regional Secondary School Sports Lead will have mana and credibility in the secondary school education environment, and strong understanding of opportunities sport offers to schools.
The key outcome of this position is to increase the number of rangatahi participating in secondary school sport. This will be achieved through four focus areas:
- Competition management and delivery.
- Supporting the school sport workforce and leadership.
- Using insights to meet the changing needs of rangatahi, and
- Leveraging existing practice in sport development for the benefit of schools.
Our Regional Secondary School Sports Lead will be responsible for increasing the number of rangatahi participating in sport at / and for secondary schools in their region by:
- Sanctioning and overseeing the delivery of a calendar of quality sports events and opportunities that provide meaningful experiences for the maximum number of rangatahi throughout their school years, and that incorporate the principals of Balance is Better.
- Providing support and advocacy for school sport staff, school management, sport volunteers and community sport organisations to ensure school sport offerings meet the changing needs of rangatahi, result in increased participation and highlight the value of sport to rangatahi and the education setting.
- Collecting, using and sharing insights from research, and rangatahi themselves, to ensure the sport offering in schools is inclusive, and will continue to meet the needs of all rangatahi throughout their school years.
- Identifying constraints and opportunities for sport in schools, communicating these to the wider sport sector, and ensuring sport sector initiatives are well integrated into the secondary school sport setting.
To be successful in this role, we are looking for the following skills, experience and education:
- 3-5 years experience in the sport and/or education sector with demonstrated experience and proven leadership skills in leading a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work individually and collaborative as part of a wider team to develop and deliver on outcomes-driven accountabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage relationships, communicate with a wide cross-section of organisations including individuals in a positive and constructive manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks with efficiency.
- Considerable experience in creating and implementing participation and/or development initiatives for young people.
- Knowledge and understanding of the inequities that exist for rangatahi and whānau to participate in sport.
- An understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- An exemplary level of integrity and trust.
- Understanding of and affinity to Sport Whanganui’s vision and purpose.
For more information or to apply, please email Tania King at email@example.com.