Taking part in physical activity improves mood, self-esteem, and helps to build a sense of belonging across schools and communities.
Physical activity and a healthy diet when we’re young is a key part to building confidence, accelerating learning and building lifelong healthy lifestyles. Sport Whanganui champion ways for tamariki to get active in the classroom and the community, through play, active recreation and sport.
We work closely with primary schools and kura in the region to encourage participation, provide positive sports experiences and increase the physical literacy of tamariki, so they can build a lifelong love of activity.
Kohikohi ngā kakano, whakaritea te pārekereke, kia puawāi ngā hua.
Gather the seeds, prepare the seedbed carefully, and you will be gifted with an abundance of food.
Healthy Active Learning
Healthy Active Learning (HAL) is a joint initiative with Sport New Zealand (delivered locally by Sport Whanganui), Te Whatu Ora Health New Zealand, and the Ministry of Education, to help improve the wellbeing of tamariki through healthy eating, drinking, and quality physical activity.
Sport Whanganui’s team of Healthy Active Learning Advisors and Connectors work alongside selected primary and intermediate schools within our region to assist teachers/kaiako to:
- understand and recognise the value of the Health and Physical Education and Hauora curriculum.
- create an environment that supports and promotes quality play, sport and physical activity.
- build confident and capable teachers and kaiako in delivering the Health and Physical Education and Hauora curriculum.
- create a healthy food and drink environment.
- make well informed decisions when engaging with external providers.
- strengthen their connections with their wider community, including whānau, and local health and physical activity providers.
Have questions about Healthy Active Learning? Send us an email or call us on 06 349 2300.
Replay – Make a Difference
Sport Whanganui is proud to collaborate with REPLAY, an initiative whose aim is keep sport gear out of landfill and in the hands of tamariki.
REPLAY is on a mission to save sports gear and create more opportunities for tamariki to get active. By getting pre-loved gear out to our local community, which Sport Whanganui does regularly through schools, more tamariki can reap the benefits.
Your donation makes a difference. There are several REPLAY bins throughout Whanganui to make donations easy: Whanganui Resource Recovery Centre, Rebel Sport, Hunting and Fishing New Zealand and Mitre 10 MEGA. Thanks for being a REPLAY hero!