What is a Green Prescription?
Green Prescription is a 12-month healthy lifestyle programme for adults. It is designed to nurture, inform, empower and provide community connections to support a healthy lifestyle. Green Prescription focuses on supporting healthy behaviour changes by developing sustainable physical activity and nutritional habits.
Who would benefit?
People who are inactive: an inactive person is someone who does less than two and a half hours of moderate intensity physical activity throughout the week
If you are inactive and your medical conditions are stable, a Green Prescription can help with diabetes control, improve blood pressure and cholesterol, help reduce your need for medications, and assist with weight management, help your mental and social wellbeing, reduce your risk of respiratory and cardiovascular complications, and improve your general fitness.
How we support
- You will meet your Green Prescription advisor to discuss what you would like to achieve on the programme and together set a plan in place goal setting that will work for you.
- Your advisor can help with resources and advice around healthy eating that will work for you and your circumstances.
- Your advisor will link you to physical activity options in your community.
- We provide a service that will help you to keep on track, We will continue to support and encourage you over 6 months then if you wish you can continue for another 6 months. We provide support through follow up appointments and phone support.
- We provide feedback on your progress to your doctor at the completion of your programme.
How do I get a Green Prescription?
Your doctor, practice nurse, health professional or midwife can refer you. Once we receive your referral from your GP practice, we will ring you and arrange a time for you to meet your advisor at our Green Prescription office.
Nāu mai haere mai ki ā koutou, we encourage you to bring a support person such as whanau or a friend to your initial consultation.
Who are the Green Prescription team?
Deb Byers – Health Manager
Telephone: (06) 349 2325
Sarah Whayman – Green Prescription Advisor
Telephone (06) 349 2328
Fax (06) 349 2322