What is Active Teens?
Active Teens is a 12-month healthy lifestyle programme for youth aged 14-17 years. It is designed to nurture, inform, empower and provide community connections to support a healthy lifestyle. Active Teens focuses on supporting healthy behaviour changes by developing sustainable physical activity and nutritional habits.
Who would benefit?
People who are inactive: an inactive person is someone who does less than two and a half hours of moderate intensity physical activity throughout the week
If you are inactive and your medical conditions are stable, a Green Prescription can help with diabetes control, improve blood pressure and cholesterol, help reduce your need for medications, and assist with weight management, help your mental and social wellbeing, reduce your risk of respiratory and cardiovascular complications, and improve your general fitness.
How we support
- You will meet your Active Teens co-ordinator to discuss what you would like to achieve on this healthy lifestyle programme and together you set a plan in place that will work for you and your needs.
- Together with the coordinator you will agree physical activity and nutritional changes that work for you and your circumstances.
- Your coordinator will link you to physical activity options in your community or establish a plan that will work for your lifestyle.
- We provide a service that will help you to keep on track, We will continue to support and encourage you over 6 months then if you wish you can continue for another 6 months. We Will do this through follow up appointments and phone support.
- We provide feedback on your progress to your doctor at the completion of your programme.
How do I join Active Teens?
You can self refer by calling us or completing the Self Referral Online form. Your doctor, practice nurse, health professional can refer you as well. Once we receive your referral from your GP practice, we will ring you and arrange a time for you to meet your advisor at our Active Teens sports hub building.
Nāu mai haere mai ki ā koutou, we encourage you to bring a support person such as whanau or a friend to your initial consultation.
Who are the Active Teens team?
Deb Byers – Health Manager
Telephone: (06) 349 2325
Sarah Whayman – Green Prescription Advisor
Telephone (06) 349 2328
Fax (06) 349 2322